Labels

Friday 3 February 2017

Question 6

What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?


General

  • We were able to used a microphone to re-record lost sound using some friends in our class as the voice actors. This was of course very lucky which is lesson in itself to be more prepared, more so than you think.
  • Saving work has definitely improved since that's a skill in its own right... Although I never experienced any major loss of work, Blogger's frequent crashes terrified me into saving all work.
  • Deadlines have to be met and so they do outside of coursework in other lessons. I learned over time to work more efficiently and to not leave things to the last minute, although as I am writing this, I understand that I still have yet to improve upon that.


Adobe Premiere Pro CC

The editing software which Ed and I mainly used was Adobe Premiere Pro CC and I had both negative and positive experiences with it.

Positive:
  • I very much appreciated the 'auto-save' feature and the back up/ version files it stored as I had once foolishly deleted everything we had done during the insertion of audio during the final edit.
  • The different windows allowed Ed and I to access controls quickly, and once learned, we were able to work quicker also. 
  • Although not necessarily effective, the colour controls allowed Ed and I to improve the appearance of weather continuity in our first draft.
  • Ed and I were able to rotate the video and enlarge it in a way which made the footage less wonky
Negatives:
  • It was very difficult to get used to as we were producing something that was longer than anything I have ever produced on Premier Pro, certain controls aren't always where I wanted them to be and windows sometimes miss-behaved.
Below, you may find a screenshot you will have seen earlier in my blog and certain aspects of it are analysed. These are linked to the tools which I personally found rather useful and had to learn the uses of.

(If you are finding it difficult to read, please click on the image to enlarge and press the 'x' on the top right corner to close when done)


Adobe Audition CC

Audition CC is also an editing software, but for sound. Ed and I discovered it when we used the 'edit sound in audition' feature found in premier if we right clicked on a track. 

Positives:
  • It was extremely comforting to know that this was a professional software which was able to remove excess sound which the camera picked up.
  • The feature opened easily, saved automatically and even imported the new, edited audio to the project in premier automatically. Once controls were learned, the interface was rather easy to use.
Negatives:
  • I found it very difficult to find controls as the layout is rather annoying, though I understand that one can adjust that (I dared not touch anything but what the YouTube tutorials suggested)
  • Some features did not function correctly such as the removal of background sound, however, it is probably down to my own personal inexperience with the product.

I have not provided an annotated screenshot for this software as I have done for the above because I did not use many tools at all aside from the 'razor' feature also available in Premiere Pro, and the 'cut' feature where I cut the background sounds out from the made audio. 

In the beginning, I also struggled with the view of the software as it did not resemble those in the YouTube videos, however, a quick Google search quickly told me that I must use the top options bar to select the option to see the 'spectral frequency display' which is the orange coloured track such as the image I found on the left. Though the image on the left is not a screenshot of mine, it looks very similar to what editing I was doing during the construction of the opening sequence.


Adobe Photoshop CC

Photoshop was only really used when constructing the 'production company' logo for our opening sequence. I already knew how to use this software so I didn't really learn anything new. An example of when I used this can be found in this blog post. The use of specific tools etc are circled!

Powered by emaze

Process

YouTube

I used YouTube to share many of my videos including the drafts so I can include them in my blog.

Positives:
  • Later editing the content that I uploaded to YouTube made me more confident that anything I produce doesn't necessarily have to be perfect as I can edit it to an extent. 
  • I became slightly more comfortable with producing videos of myself speaking. I myself am not a very confident person in front of the camera, and knowing that the content is going online is an anxious concept so I found it rather difficult to speak.
Negatives:

  • The upload time takes a significant amount of time, and sometimes videos don't upload at all if anything is accidentally disturbed. I learned that it is important to just upload the videos in one go and keep the upload tabs open, even if the 'publish' button has been clicked.

Blogger

Blogger was the main platform we used to blog our progress and throughout the course I have learned to use it efficiently, however, I did find that I had both negative and positive experiences with it.

Positives:

  • The HTML code editor is very useful as I can manually edit aspects of a post. Due to previous experience with HTML, I am able to adjust size of components, colours of text etc manually which I found rather useful as controls don't always work.
  • Uploading to YouTube and inserting a video is very very easy thanks to the share links available on almost everything on the internet. 
  • Uploading images also became easier over time.

Negatives:

  • Blogger was generally just a very irritating application to lose. I do have very little patience and a short attention span, therefore I found that I quickly lost motivation to produce content on Blogger and went onto procrastinate.
I learned that switching browsers from Internet Explorer, to Google Chrome made the whole experience of using Blogger much more enjoyable and I think that I improved in my blogging process. 


Filming

Microphone

The microphone luckily recorded sound very well and although at first Ed and I had trouble getting started and set up, we quickly had everything sorted, however, we did have some difficulty getting started and setting up. We used a INSERT MICROPHONE MAKE THING AND PICTURE

Tripod

A Velbon 700 tripod was used for the filming process.

Positives:
  • I was able to easily adjust the height when I filmed long shots and Ed also adjusted the height when he was filming the two shot of the Tonys by using the winding feature just under the foot. 
Negatives:
  • The tripod's top half was wound too tight and thus when the handle was let go, it began to tilt so some footage was wonky (granted, my mistake for not checking when I was shooting).

Camera

We used a Canon 700D to shoot our opening sequence and the setting made it easy for us to do so. Since the settings were on automatic, the focus was easy to adjust and there was no need to correct the lighting colour etc, which I am rather useless at since I am used to a different camera, however, Practically, the camera either didn't pick up sound as well as we'd hoped, or it picked up the sound we didn't want better than anything else

No comments:

Post a Comment