Labels

Wednesday 1 February 2017

Question 2

How does your media product represent particular social groups?

Foreigners

Below I originally inserted a video in order to explain the factors concerning foreigners around film in general, however, it was called to my attention by my teacher as advice, that I should narrow down my research and evaluation area to the genre specific to thrillers, therefore, anything highlighted yellow, as well as the video, is a previous version of what I explained in the updated image found below. 



The youth 

The way we chose to represent the youth through costumes (with examples):


Men


A social group which I did not mention in any of the videos were men. This is because the representations video for this would likely be too long, so I am going to present this information using the platform 'Tagul' after which I will explain all the different aspects of it.





I used a website (link provided) called Media Smarts to collect a little bit more information on the stereotypes concerning men. The page that I found listed 'the common stereotypes of men in media' so I created a word cloud from it to quickly condense the overwhelming information (which I found rather useful as I can now see the words that are most used associated with the characters of 'men').


Men specifically in the thriller genre:

Hannibal Lecture
Men in the thriller genre are often either a protagonist or an antagonist (examples include Silence of the Lambs by Jonathan Demme (1991) where Hannibal Lecture is the antagonist and Nosferatu by F.W. Mornau (1922) where Hutter is the protagonist). 


Hutter
In this way, Ed and I kept to these conventions since the characters considered to be the antagonists by the audience is the two Tonys and the protagonist is Ivan, they're all of the male gender. In fact, though we haven't cast female characters, when there is mention of one, Ivan's mother, it is in the form of a sexual innuendo which the two Tonys laugh at suggesting that there had been an earlier inside joke formed between them. 

Tippi Hedren
Sexualising women and crudely joking about their physical appearance is a common occurrence when stereotyping men. An example can be found in The Birds by Alfred Hitchcock, released in 1963 wherein the opening sequence, as Tippi Hedren is entering the pet shop, someone, likely a man, whistled in her direction in a way which resembled a 'cat call' to show expression of their sexual attraction toward her. 

Men and their appearance in the thriller genre:

Additionally, Ed and I chose to represent the men in our thriller opening sequence in relation to their age (that is where 'The Youth' video connects), however, an obvious aspect which I chose not to talk about in the video, was the representation of 'middle aged men', especially those affiliated with an antagonistic role. I've mentioned before that, men are common to sexualise women in a thriller film, and therefore, Ed and I have kept to that convention of representation, however, I've not mentioned the way they are physically presented. 
Tony B and Tony A

To the left, you may see a screenshot of the two Tonys in character and below, this picture annotated. To zoom in, just click on the image and then the 'x' when done!



No comments:

Post a Comment